Monday, October 7, 2013

Facing Off With Facebook

I don't know that anyone could have predicted how quickly and how pervasively social media has  become a part of our daily lives. Let's talk about Facebook. I remember when Facebook was new, and people of my generation were timid about joining. I was delighted to be reacquainted with former students and cheerleaders. I enjoy seeing pictures of grandchildren that live nearby and far away. I can easily contact friends in other countries. My business page allows me to update courses being offered, to share safety articles, and to talk with coaches.

Facebook has a downside that we have all experienced. We are inundated with silly messages and endless posts about everything people do. In fact, I'm learning that many of my "friends" post too much personal information--and information I don't want to know. I have seen too much self-centeredness and too much "me, me, me."  Facebook is also addictive. Yes, I was one of those gamers who asked everyone for a piece or a token or a life. It is too easy to get sucked into the games.


Paul Boboc believes that Facebook has changed the way we connect with people; instead of speaking to people face to face, we now post or message. Face to face communication allows us to see people's reactions to our conversation; it allows us to use nonverbal while we speak. Facebook takes that away, just like email does. Other studies show that we are disconnecting from people to connect electronically. We are spending too much time online, and too little time with others. A mental health website indicates that too much Facebook use by teens can lead to "more aggression, depression, anxiety, narcissism, low self-esteem and antisocial behavior." This is just one example of many articles that indicate too much Facebook can be harmful to our health.


So what do we do? Just as we discussed last week, moderation is the key--whether adults or children. We all need time with "real" friends to laugh, to talk, and to enjoy. Time yourself the next time you log in to Facebook. How much time daily do you spend on Facebook? How does that relate to time spent elsewhere?

What do you think? Is Facebook sucking up your time or are you able to pull away at will?

No comments:

Post a Comment